Monday, November 14, 2011

Scarves

When I was at the Asheville, NC quilt show a while back there were a couple of vendors selling the yarn necessary to make these frilly scarves. (click photos for larger view)


I found these fun to make because they're fast.  I can usually do one in the span of a couple of hours.  I don't even wear scarves so haven't figured out exactly what to do with these.  I'm considering sending them to my mother, who lives in a retirement home, letting her pick whatever she wants out of them and then sharing the excess with her friends there. 

I still have several more to make - one is in green and then the others are duplicates of the colors you see here. 

The art group I belong to met Saturday and as an activity we made silk scarves dyed with men's silk ties.

You lay a silk scarf blank on top of a piece of muslin and then lay out pieces of silk ties on top of half the scarf.  You then fold the half of the scarf without the ties (with its muslin backing) over on top of the part with the ties laid out.  

Roll the entire package up like a sausage and tightly tie closed.   

Place the sausage package in a pot of boiling water to which a bit of vinegar has been added.  Boil for 20 minutes.

Remove from the water, untie, and voila!   Iron the scarf to set the dyes.

Apparently the ties can be used 2 or 3 times each.


 


 


 


No comments: